South Cerney Angling Club was formed by seven local anglers in 1936. Membership cost just 10 shillings and enabled anglers to fish Station Pool in the village, and a stretch of the River Churn.
By the late 1940’s the club had acquired the fishing rights for Bradley’s and Hill’s lakes,and shortly after Ham Pool was purchased. Unfortunately about this time we lost the fishing rights to Station Pool, but the fishing club continued to expand and move forward. Wick Water was bought, and was our trout fishery for twenty-seven years before becoming a coarse fishery. Another addition to the club book was another large lake which is now known as Whitefriars.
In 1985 a new clubhouse was built by Ham Pool. This building was built to replace the old clubhouse that was situated on the headland on Bradley’s, and now caters for social members as well as the anglers.
In the late 90’s, the right hand lake at Wick was split to create two match lakes. These match lakes are our day ticket waters as well as being available to our members. The club’s latest acquisition was the purchase of Dabchick lake, which was bought in the latter end of 2001. No doubt more waters will be available to our members in the future. At present we have four stretches of the River Thames, a stretch of the River Ray, and six lakes.